Tuesday, October 12, 2010

UNCLE BILL

As a shy lad I steered clear of grownups, to my eternal regret. I'm sure we're all faced with that same regret later in life. Uncle Bill never married but I have a photo of him in 1953 with an attractive girl who lived a few doors along from Gran's home in Chullora. I'm sure there's a story there to which I'm not privy. Bill was a regular golfer who spent a large part of his life on Hudson Park Golf Course. This public course is situated next to the goods line, opposite Rookwood Cemetery. Bill played there most days and was still going strong into his 80s. I'm not sure what part of the services Bill served in during WW2, but he worked in Chullora Railway Workshops for his later working life, along with other members of Mum's family. Bill was ever cheerful and never spoke down to me. He had a memorable voice, what we called a "gravel" voice and could be relied upon in all situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment